East and Central Africa: IPC Regional Food Security Situation Map, January 2013
- The food security situation in the region continues to improve. The current conditions are better in comparison to the same time last year and as good as has been observed in the 5 years.
- October to December agro-climatic conditions have been favourable for agricultural and livestock production. A normal cessation to October to December rains is expected.
- Global and regional food prices continue to be stable but higher than long-term averages.
- Improved security conditions in Sudan, South Sudan and Somalia have made important contributions to better food security conditions.
- Seasonal deterioration of food security conditions in early 2013 is expected with the onset of the long dry season. Climate predictions point towards abnormally hot and dry conditions in early 2013.